NSW Federation of Housing Associations Who we are and What we do What is Community Housing Training Services and Publications Find a Housing Association
This Section Find a Housing Association

Additional referral points:


Crisis Accommodation and Crisis Support

Statewide information and referral service to homelessness and support services and/or temporary accommodation. 1800 152 152

(This replaces the Homeless Persons Information Centre, Youth Connect and the after hours Temporary Accommodation line)

Department of Community Services Domestic Violence Line
For women in need of temporary accommodation because of domestic violence – 24 hours
Ph:  1800 656 463

Other helpful telephone numbers
Department of Community Services - Helpline (24 hours) 132 111
Lifeline (24 hours) 131 114
Rape Crisis Centre (24 hours) 9819 6565; TTY 9181 4349
Salvo Crisis Centre - (24 hours) 9360 3000

Tenants – General

Tenants Union of NSW  - Advice and Advocacy
For tenancy information (Tenants Advice and Advocacy Service) To use website, scroll down to section called “Find you local service” and type in your postcode, then click search to find your local Tenants Advice and Advocacy Services

Tenants' Union Advice Line
Mondays 3:00–6:00pm
Phone: 8117 3750
Free call: 1800 251 101

Office of Fair Trading – Tenancy and Bond
Tenancy Information and Bond Information  www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au
Ph:  13 32 20; TTY 1300 723 404 

Consumer, Trader and Tenancy Tribunal – Breaches of the Residential Tenancies Act
Ph: 1300 135 399

Centrelink - Rent Assistance
Centrelink  - For social security recipients and information about benefits  (Mon-Fri 8:00-17:00)
Ph: 13 1021; TTY 1800 810 586  

Aboriginal Tenancy Advice

Office of Fair Trading
 Aboriginal Tenancy Information www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au
Ph: 1800 500 330 

Aboriginal Tenants Advice & Advocacy Services
Greater Sydney area 1800 772 721
Northern NSW area 1800 248 913
Southern NSW area 1800 672 185
Western NSW area 1800 810 233

Community Housing Tenants

Housing Associations Look at our Directory of Housing Associations:
community housing association   

Cooperative Housing Tenants
Association to Resource Cooperative Housing
Ph: (02) 9361 6834, (outside Sydney) 1800 066 834

Code of Practice Inquiries:
email: Networks@communityhousing.org.au
Ph: (02) 0281 7144

Public Housing Tenants – Housing NSW

Applications and Feedback
Housing NSW
Ph: 1300 468 746 (7 days, 24 hours)

General Enquiries
Ph:  1800 629 212

Aboriginal Enquiry Line
Information and advice from Aboriginal staff of Housing NSW (8.30am – 4.30pm weekdays)
Ph: 1800 355 740

Aboriginal Housing Tenants

Aboriginal Housing Office Head Office (Parramatta) Ph 02 8836 9444  www.aho.nsw.gov.au
Email ahoenquiries@aho.nsw.gov.au
Aboriginal Housing Information Service (AHIS) Free Call: 1800 727 555

Appeals for Social Housing Tenants

For Housing NSW, Aboriginal housing and community housing tenants - external appeals to Housing Appeals Committee 1800 629 794

People with disability

For accommodation for people with disability – ring a regional office of the Department of Disability, Ageing and Home Care
For access to a Special Assistance Subsidy: Disability – ring Housing NSW
Ph: 1300 468 746

People living with HIV/AIDS

For accommodation for people living with HIV/AIDS – ring ACON 1800 063 060
For access to a Special Assistance Subsidy: Special – ring Housing NSW 1300 468 746


Information for housing and referrals for ex-prisoners and their families
Community Restorative Centre
Ph: (02) 9288 8700  

Private renters

Housing NSW – Bond and Rent Support
For help with bond payment and rent advance for a new tenancy, under the Rentstart scheme (Mon-Fri 8:00-18:00, Sat 10:00-15:00)
Ph: 1300 468 746

Office of Fair Trading – Bond Information
General rental bond information
Ph:  13 13 20


Privacy Commissioner
Ph: 1300 363 992

Legal referrals, Complaints and Dispute Resolution

Community Legal Centres in NSW  
Can provide information and referrals to appropriate legal advice. Email:  nswclc@clc.net.au
Ph:  02 9212 7333 

Community Justice Centres
Provides  quick, and impartial dispute resolution services for minor matters e.g. neighbourhood disputes.
Ph: 02 9228 7455

Anti-Discrimination Board
Investigates complaints of discrimination, harassment and vilification
Ph: 1800 670 812

The National Pro Bono Resource Centre
An Australian independent, non profit organisation that encourages pro bono legal services, supports lawyers and law firms to make it easier for them to provide high quality pro bono legal services and works with the profession and the community sector to match services with the clients and groups most in need of assistance. www.nationalprobono.org.au


Translation and Interpreter Services 131 450

Residential care facilities for older people (retirement villages, nursing homes, hostels)
For complaints– ring the Aged-care Rights Service (02) 9281 3672, 1800 424 079; or the Consumer, Trader and Tenancy Tribunal 1300 135 399

Home purchasers
For general assistance – Housing NSW’s Home Purchase Advisory Service 1300 468 746
For mortgage assistance – ring Housing NSW 1300 468 746 (Mon-Fri 8:30-16:30)
For a grant under the First Home Owner Grant Scheme – ring the Office of State Revenue 1300 130 624
For home loans for Indigenous people under the Indigenous Business Australia (IBA) Homes scheme – ring 1800 107 107


Refer to Shelter NSW information on website for some updates of these referral points
http://www.shelternsw.org.au/docs/mem1104consumerinfo.html and further research added to this list.



Home Other Links Search Sitemap Contact us Legal Statement   @2006 NSWFHA